For my birthday party this weekend we had a Flavor Tripping party! Perhaps you've heard of the Miracle Fruit before? It's a little red berry that when eaten, makes sour and bitter things taste sweet! And boy, did it work. I ordered some Miracle Berry in tablet form via ThinkGeek.com. What you do is let the tablet dissolve in your mouth and coat your entire tongue with it. Then for about 20-40 minutes after, everything sour or bitter that you eat will taste radically different. I wont go into the scientific details of it, but I will tell you how delicious it is.
• Lemons and limes tasted like candy, super sweet and delicious.
• Sour cream. Oh my goodness, Sour Cream! My personal favorite. It was like a honey sweet creamy yogurty sauce. It's hard to exactly pinpoint what it tasted like, but dipping granny smith apples in it was highly addicting. Goat cheese was also a hit, especially with apple.
• Grapefruits were interesting, the bitterness was gone, and all that was left was a bland grapefruit-esque taste. (Not recommended).
• Dark beers like Guinness and Imperial Stout almost tasted like coffee. And with a dallop of lemon sorbet? A mocha shake! Mmmm!
• Some other things that were sampled: hot sauce, chocolate, pepperjack cheese, olives, wine, pickles, blueberries, strawberries, gorgonzola, capers, bananas, balsalmic vinegar, vodka and one brave soul sampled EVERYTHING in our fridge. eww.
• My favorite combination: lemon dipped in sour cream, balsalmic vinegar and cumin. Sound disgusting? Just wait until you try it.
It was such a hit that we're proably going to have another one next month when my best friend comes to visit :)
Here are some pictures from the past month.
Pepperjack cheese, hot sauce, chocolate and lemon sandwhich.
Just drinking some Crystal hot sauce, no big deal.
My friend got me some Bumpits™ for my birthday. hahaha. hilarious.
Justin and I
The lovely Jillian and I